Monday, May 18, 2009

Silvertone 1661




One of my latest ebay finds. I have done old radio cabinet restorations for a little while now as my furniture refinishing skills led me into that field as well. I have always loved old radios/consoles/reel to reels/tv's and it's really rewarding to see one of them come back to life. This is a Silvertone Model 1661 from about 1940. I will have one of the radio techs I know go through the chassis and make sure it is in good working order. All of the labels and schematics are intact so that should make it a little easier to work with. It also has a really cool round loop antenna on the side of the chassis. It is not in bad shape as far as the cabinet goes, but could use a little refinishing because of a few deep scratches and just a general build up of muck and degeneration of the finish so I will do that while the chassis is out. Stay tuned for more pictures of it as I get into it. I think it's a real beauty.

-Ok. Just got this one finished and put back together. It sounds amazing and I'm really happy with the way it turned out. What a beaut.

3 comments:

  1. i really love this radio it is a work of art you 've done a marvelous job on it keepum comin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. any chance you have an opening for an apprentice i have experience in finishing furniture lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Thanks Primo. I don't have an opening right now, but I would definitely like to have your info on file in case I am ever in need of someone else. You can email me through the website.
    -thanks
    -Hank

    ReplyDelete